Friday 25 December 2015

The Big Day

Happy Holidays!
Merry Christmas, everyone!

The above picture, painted by DR Laird, reminds me of my childhood when the afternoon and evening of Christmas Day meant hitting the local rink with my friends for some shinny. If that wasn't possible due to family commitments, there was always street hockey out in front of the house with some kids from around the neighbourhood.

I'll be honest: I'm not religious. Christmas has no religious overtones for me personally, so I always wanted to include the families from other walks of life into the celebration my family had. I guess what I'm saying is that I hope for peace on Earth today and that differences can be overlooked as we all come together.

Grab your skates, head down to your local rink, pond, or backyard ice surface, and have some fun today. Enjoy a hot chocolate or other warm beverage, and then sit down to a delicious meal. Hug your friends and family. Tell them how much they mean to you. It's not a celebration without friends and family, so have some fun.

Oh, and don't forget about the World Junior Championship and Spengler Cup starting up this holiday season! The boys from Canada can use your support in Helsinki, Finland and Davos, Switzerland, respectively, so cheer loudly and proudly as a Canadian! Ok, cheer loudly for any other team as well, but HBIC is all about the Canadian effort!

Until next time, happy holidays, folks! Be kind to one another, and enjoy the day!

No comments: