Wednesday 18 June 2014

This Trend Can End

I find that there are a few things in like that irk me. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to things in my life, but there is a trend emerging in sports that is starting to wear thin. It's not just limited to hockey, either, as I've seen it in both baseball and basketball, and I'd be willing to guess that football has seen something similar happen. On Monday, Eric Garcetti, mayor of Los Angeles, added to this trend that is becoming so passé.

I understand there is civic pride that comes into play for a mayor when a professional sports team captures a championship, but is there really any need for the guy to curse? I apologize for the uncensored video, so be aware that this clip is NSFW and definitely rated-R if children are watching this.

See, maybe I'm in the minority here. Maybe I'm a little more old-school and old-fashioned than I think I am. Or maybe I just hold an elected public official to a higher standard. In any case, Mr. Garcetti's choice of language in this situation is highly unnecessary in my view, and all he did was earn himself a cheap cheer from the crowd at Staples Center. It's a mob mentality at that time, and all Mr. Garcetti did was excite the mob with a clearly-planned swear word meant to get an easy cheer.

Two years ago, Jonathan Quick did the same thing. Corey Crawford added his name to those who have sworn at a civic gathering during the Blackhawks' Stanley Cup parade. David Ortiz used a curse word during the Boston Red Sox's post-bombing ceremony. Toronto Raptors GM Masai Ujuri cursed at Brooklyn before their playoff series this past spring. Dustin Brown let an F-bomb fly on NBC after winning the Stanley Cup this season. In other words, it seems we're using curse words far more often in places we used to never find them.

What is the fascination with this word? Do people in sports not hear it enough in their sport that they have to incorporate it into everyone else's lives when speaking publicly? Am I just too much of a prude?

Look, I'm an adult, and I've heard the word enough in my life to know that there are places it should never be used. That Stanley Cup parade and the crowd in Staples Center most likely had kids of all ages in attendance, and here's the mayor dropping an F-bomb in front of them. Personally, this is one of those times where an F-bomb probably isn't needed. In fact, as a public figure, it'll get you the cheap pop from the crowd, but you know his opposition is going to use that against him.

I enjoyed seeing as much of the parade as I could on Monday. The people of Los Angeles seem to be noticing that the hockey team in their city is a pretty good team. The one thing I could do without, though, was the cursing.

Until next time, give your head a shake!

No comments: