Monday 20 May 2013

In My Thoughts Tonight

The above skyline is that of Oklahoma City. If you hadn't heard by now, OKC is in the midst of one of the worst tornado seasons in recent memory, and there is sure to be loss of life and devastation left behind once the twisters have moved on. In light of this, I just want to say that the people of Oklahoma City are in my thoughts tonight as they try to avoid these tornadoes and be safe.

I was lucky enough to visit Oklahoma City on a roadtrip to Houston a few years back. It's a gorgeous, vibrant city with some of the nicest people I have met on my travels. Southern hospitality was certainly on-hand in spades when I needed some help from the front desk clerk at my hotel and during a stop at a convenience store to ask for directions to a local venue. The people at the store and in line went out of their way to help, and I can only say that it was a positive experience for a guy who turned left when he should have gone right. Thanks, OKC, for helping this guy out.

I wrote a pretty solid article - in my opinion - about the hockey culture in Oklahoma City thanks to the CHL's Oklahoma City Blazers. The AHL's Oklahoma City Barons are the new hockey franchise in town, and they've provided the crowds with an exciting team thanks to be stocked with the Edmonton Oilers rookies and kids.

The Barons are still competing for the Calder Cup this season as they await the winner of the Toronto Marlies and the Grand Rapids Griffins, but I'm pretty sure that hockey will take a backseat to the devastation the city is facing thanks to the wrath of Mother Nature. Here's hoping that everyone in the Barons organization forgets about hockey to help the fans.

I wish nothing but the best for Oklahoma City. It's a scary time there right now, and hockey should take a backseat to anything but safety. May everyone be safe.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: